Former Olympian, Nathaniel Miller, Named New Greenwich Water Polo Head Coach and Program Director
Greenwich Water Polo is excited to announce the hiring of Nathaniel Miller as its new head coach and program director. After a search which attracted qualified candidates from ten countries, the GWP Board was unanimous in selecting Miller, a 14-year member of the Canadian National team for which he was the captain during his final two years.
Miller has played professionally in Brazil, Spain, France & Montenegro and was a member of the 2008 Canadian Olympic team. For the past 12-years, Miller has also been a successful head coach for age-group teams in Calgary, where several of his players have been selected for national team programs.
“Nathaniel brings a rare combination of the highest level of athletic accomplishment along with the personality and patience to coach players of all ages and experience. There is no doubt that he will help bring water polo in the Greenwich and Fairfield County area to a whole new level of success,” said GWP President Terry Lowe.
After visiting Greenwich and checking out the program’s new home at Chelsea Piers Connecticut, Miller left for London where his wife, Jessica Zelinka, was competing in her second Olympic Heptathlon and running her way into the finals of the 100 meter hurdles. Upon their return, the couple decided to make the move to the Greenwich area.
Miller, who is a U.S. citizen, will join the staff at Chelsea Piers the first week in September. “Moving our program to Chelsea Piers in July and hiring a world class player and coach in August makes this the most exciting summer in GWP’s 17 year history. The combination of CPCT and Nathaniel Miller assures an even brighter future for our program,” said Lowe.
Boys and girls as young as five for Splashball and players up to 18 years old for travel teams can register now for fall programs.
Northeast Olympic Development Program Tryouts August 26
For Boys and Girls, in 6th-12th grade, interested in participating in the USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program, tryouts are Sunday, August 26 at Greenwich YMCA. Tryouts for Boys are between 8:30-12:30pm (Click here to register) and tryouts for girls are between 12:30 and 4:30pm (Click here to register). The cost is $100 for new registrants for 2012.
Splashball Begins Sept 1
Greenwich Water Polo is excited to start Splashball for younger children who want to get a taste of water polo. Fall Session runs from Sept.1 to Nov 18 on Saturdays between 11am-noon at Chelsea Piers. The cost is $200 for the session. Come, enjoy and experience the fun. To register, Click Here.
Fall House League Starts in September
Greenwich Water Polo is excited to announce that its Fall House League -- a developmental Co-Ed league for ages 8-14--starts September 1 at Chelsea Piers.
Continue your summer play with once a week games this fall on Saturdays (Session 1) and Sundays (Session 2) at our new state-of-the-art facility at Chelsea Piers!!!! Sessions will be from 12 to 1:30 p.m. starting on Saturday, September 1, 2012 and continue through Nov 18. You can attend one or both sessions.
Program Fee for each session: $250
Click Here to register and additional information.
Greenwich Water Polo Expands to Chelsea Piers in Stamford in July, 2012
For now it is hard hats as Chelsea Piers tiles their expansive new pool and facility... but Greenwich Water Polo players are ready to dive in as soon as the pool opens in July.
Pictured above: 18/under Matthew Fraser of Old Greenwich, 14/under Haley Garfield of Darien and 12/under Charlie Fichtner of New Canaan join GWP President Terry Lowe and Chelsea Piers' Swim Team Director Jamie Baron in checking out the new "digs" for the Greenwich Water Polo program.
"We are excited to be moving to the new Chelsea Piers in Stamford and to have a real home for the GWP program in the most fantastic athletic facility in the state. For the first time, our entire program will be housed year round in a single location with a beautiful all-deep Olympic 50-meter pool. Available pool time will permit us to enlarge the program, provide more practice time for all of our players and to maintain continuity for our teams throughout the year. We are also pleased at the prospect of coordinating our program with the new Chelsea Piers swim team, coached by Jamie Barone who has successfully worked with several of our athletes," said Terry Lowe, GWP President.
Celebrating Our 14th Year
Greenwich Water Polo is the largest and fastest growing water polo program in the East. We are a club of USA Water Polo, the U.S. Olympic governing body for water polo, and of American Water Polo.
Our coaches have taught players who continued their water polo careers at top universities and colleges.
Our most valuable assets, besides players and volunteers, are our outstanding lead coaches, Terry Lowe, William Harris and Paul Ramaley, and our other professional and volunteer coaches. Our coaches are the head coaches at Greenwich High School, college coaches and winners of individual awards and honors (including U.S. Water Polo Hall of Fame induction).
Greenwich Water Polo Coaches have taught players who continued their water polo careers at the following universities:
- Brown University
- Bucknell University
- Claremont McKenna College
- Fordham University
- Harvard University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Pepperdine University
- Pitzer College
- Pomona College
- Princeton University
- Santa Clara University
- Stanford University
- University of California at Berkeley
- University of California at Santa Barbara
- University of Southern California
- United States Naval Academy
- University of Vermont
- Villanova University
- Wesleyan University
- Whittier College
- Williams College
- Yale University
Our lead coaches include:
Terry Lowe---President & Senior Coach, Greenwich Water Polo
- Beginning 35th year as Greenwich High School Boys Water Polo Head Coach
- Record of 656 wins, 143 losses and 8 ties for an .818 winning percentage.
- Coached 14 GHS Boys Water Polo Eastern Interscholastic Overall or High School Champion Teams
- Coached water polo players who have earned 78 High School All-American selections
- National High School Coach of the Year (1983)
- Inducted Connecticut High School Coaches Hall of Fame (1993)
- Inducted Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference Hall of Fame (2002)
William Harris---Vice President & Senior Coach, Greenwich Water Polo
- Greenwich High School Girls Varsity Water Polo Head Coach since commencement of Girls Varsity program (2002 to date)
- Member U.S. Water Polo Hall of Fame
- Head Coach Fordham University Men’s Varsity Water Polo Team
- Head Coach New York Athletic Club Men’s Team 1982 – 1987
- Water Polo Player for New York Athletic Club Men’s Team from 1967 – 1990
- Member 8 National Championship Teams for the New York Athletic Club
- 11 times All-American U.S. Indoor/Outdoor Nationals
Paul Ramaley---Year-round Coach for House League & Travel Teams Programs
- Commencing 3rd year as Assistant Head Coach, Greenwich High School Boys Water Polo Team
- 2 years as Head Boys Water Polo Coach, St. Andrew’s Prep, Boca Raton, Fla
- Two Years Captain, Johns Hopkins University Men’s Varsity Water Polo Team (2001 and 2002)
- Captain, Greenwich High School Boys Varsity Water Polo Team (1998)
- High School Water Polo All-American